Powers Immigration Law

Fiancé(e) Visas


When a United States citizen is engaged to a foreign national, the U.S. citizen may sponsor the foreign national for a nonimmigrant visa.

There are several steps to this process. First, the U.S. citizen must submit a petition for his/her fiancé(e). After the petition is approved, the foreign national fiancé(e) applies for a K-1 visa with the U.S. Embassy overseas.

If the visa is approved and the foreign national fiancé(e) enters the United States, the couple must marry within 90 days. After the marriage, the foreign national may apply to adjust his/her status to permanent resident. If the adjustment application is approved, the foreign national becomes a U.S. permanent resident (green card holder). To review frequently asked questions about the adjustment of status process, click here.


Generally speaking, to be eligible for the fiancé visa,

  • The U.S. citizen and foreign national fiancé(e) must be legally eligible to marry;
  • The couple must marry within 90 days of the foreign national’s entering the United States;
  • The foreign national must intend to enter the United States solely to marry the U.S. citizen;
  • The U.S. citizen and the foreign national fiancé(e) must have met in person within the past two (2) years before filing the petition; and
  • The U.S. citizen must meet the financial requirements or have a co-sponsor.

Keep in mind that approval is not guaranteed or automatic. 
The article above provides general information about the process of sponsoring a foreign national fiancé(e) and is not intended to be legal advice. If you have questions specific to your case, please call immigration attorney Tanya Powers at (704) 556-1156 for the Charlotte office, (828) 394-1196 for the Hickory office, or click here to schedule a consultation.



Powers Immigration Law ("the Law Office") maintains this website to provide general information about the firm and the services it provides to its clients.  The information contained on this website is not intended to be legal advice and it should not be relied on as a substitute for seeking legal counsel.   The Law Office does not seek to enter into an attorney-client relationship with any reader of its on-line content.  An attorney-client relationship with the firm can only be formed based on personal consultation with an attorney, followed by a determination that the Law Office is willing and able to accept such representation.  Copyright ©2010 All Rights Reserved


Powers Immigration Law ♦ tanya.powers@tmpowerslaw.com

520 8th Street NE ♦ Hickory, NC 28601 ♦ (828) 394-1196

5200 Park Road, Suite 221 ♦ Charlotte, NC 28209  ♦ (704) 556-1156